Closing date: 17 July 2021
The Australian Catholic University is offering two (2) PhD Stipend Scholarships to conduct research in the field of bioethics. Successful candidates will be enrolled within ACU’s Faculty of Theology and Philosophy and receive cross-disciplinary supervision from Dr Bridget Pratt, Mater Senior Lecturer in Healthcare Ethics within ACU’s Queensland Bioethics Centre.
About the PhD Stipend Scholarships
Two (2) PhD Stipend Scholarships are available for high-performing candidates interested in researching topics related to justice in human research ethics, and/or ethical issues related to sustainable urban development. The projects should include a focus on notions of engagement, power, equity, shared decision-making, participation, subsidiarity, and/or collaboration. The projects may use conceptual /or empirical ethics methods, depending on the background and competency of the candidate.
Possible research topics include but are not limited to:
- Exploring what social and global justice mean for sustainable urban development in response to climate change, using non-Western and/or structural theories of justice
- Developing ethical guidance on how to incorporate social justice considerations into sustainable urban development in response to climate change
- Developing ethical guidance for global health research, using non-Western and/or structural theories of justice
- Developing an account of meaningful community engagement in sustainable urban development in response to climate change
- Exploring the ethical issues that arise for urban planners in relation to social justice as part of climate change adaptation and/or mitigation.
- Developing an account of equitable global health research funding
PhD Eligibility criteria
The eligibility criteria for the PhD program at ACU can be found in the Higher Degree Research Regulations
Scholarship Eligibility criteria
In addition to the PhD program eligibility criteria, applicants should have research experience in:
- bioethics, including conceptual and/or empirical ethics methods
- some familiarity with either sustainable development or issues in global health research
Study mode and location
- Full-time for three (3) years,
- Based at ACU’s Brisbane campus, Australia
- Commencing 2021.
Value and duration
- A tax-free stipend of A$28,597 per annum for three (3) years, subject to satisfactory progress and full-time study mode; and
- a Research Training Program Fees Offset Scholarship; that is, a tuition fee waiver for three (3) years for domestic candidates; or
- an ACU Tuition Fee waiver for three (3) years for international candidates.
Step 1: Interested candidates should contact Dr David Kirchhoffer before submitting an application for the PhD program and these scholarships: E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Step 2: Expression of Interest (EoI) to be submitted by Sunday 17 July 2021
Applicants must submit to email@example.com
- a 1 to 2-page cover letter detailing demonstrated interest and/or experience in bioethics, including conceptual and/or empirical methods; and
- a brief Curriculum Vitae detailing how they meet the scholarship eligibility criteria as listed above
- Step 3: Invitation to submit formal application
Applicants who are successful in their Expression of Interest may be invited to interview. Candidates successful at interview will be asked to submit a formal application for the PhD program and this stipend scholarship.
Instructions for submitting a formal application can be found in the ‘How to Apply’ section of the ACU Research Web Page.
For general candidature enquiries, email Candidature Services on res.candATacu.edu.au, with the subject line “Bioethics PhD Stipend Scholarships”
Find information here https://www.acu.edu.au/research/become-a-research-candidate/research-scholarships
Image: Satendra Mhatre / FreeImages