Closing date: 31 March 2021
The UCT Department of Medicine seeks to appoint a two-year Postdoctoral Fellow in Epidemic Ethics and invites applications from suitably qualified candidates for appointment as soon as possible. The Postdoctoral Fellow will be part of the Epidemic Ethics Network (https://epidemicethics.tghn.org) which aims to develop a global community of bioethicists building on pre-existing expertise and resources to provide real-time, trusted, contextual support to communities, policy makers, researchers, and responders in relation to the ethical issues arising out of global health emergencies, with a current focus on the COVID-19 pandemic. The postdoc will form part of a group of four postdocs based in Asia, Africa, South America and Europe. The Epidemics Ethics Network is led by the World Health Organization and currently hosted by the University of Oxford. The fellow will be appointed at UCT but will have an affiliation with the Ethox Centre at the University of Oxford and have access to mentorship by senior members of the Epidemic Ethics network.
The Postdoctoral Fellow will:
- Undertake individual and collaborative normative and/or empirical research projects on topics agreedwith the Epidemics Ethics steering group;
- Work with the Epidemics Ethics team to respond to requests for ethics support and advice from across the Epidemics Ethics network;
- Work with the other postdocs and the Epidemic Ethics team to prepare and post digital resources on the Epidemic Ethics website;
- Organise regional engagement activities on relevant ethical issues with the support of the Epidemics Ethics network and WHO;
- Regularly co-author papers on Epidemics Ethics priority areas and lead or collaborate in the preparation of funding applications.
- For this opportunity, we are looking for an African national with a PhD degree and a track record of academic publications on topics in bioethics. Preference would be for a candidate with experience in public health ethics.
For more information see the following document https://media.tghn.org/uploads/blog/attachments/FHS_Advert_EpidemicsEthics_Postdoc_for_circulation.pdf, or contact Dr Jantina de Vries (jantina.devriesATct.ac.za) for questions about this position or to apply.