The Journal of Bioethical Inquiry is seeking one or more individuals to fulfill the role of Associate Editor of Sociology and Bioethics (and/or Anthropology and Bioethics). Associate Editors are central to the function and purpose of the JBI. Through engagement with the Editor in Chief, the Editorial Board, and the greater academic community, Associate Editors guide the growth and development of the journal and contribute to the breadth, depth, and sophistication of its content. The Associate Editors of Sociology and Bioethics will provide assistance with the acquisition of new material and the editing and review of submitted manuscripts within their field of expertise. Associate Editors are supported by the Managing Editor, the Editorial Board, the Executive Committee and the Copy Editor and report to the Editor in Chief. An Associate Editor’s key roles and responsibilities are outlined below.
Key Areas and Responsibilities
The key responsibilities of the Associate Editor of Sociology and Bioethics include:
1. Editorial Tasks
Participation in the editorial process, as described in more detail in the Guidelines for Associate Editors supplied by Springer. In brief:
- A manuscript is received by the JBI.
- The manuscript is allocated to an Associate Editor.
- Upon receipt of the manuscript, the Associate Editor invites reviewers to review the manuscript.
- The Associate Editor critically assesses both the manuscript and the reviews.
- The Associate Editor submits a recommendation and rationale to the Editor in Chief.
- The Editor in Chief makes the final decision regarding publication and completes the correspondence with the authors.
2. Invitations to Submit Manuscripts to the JBI
Encouragement of submission of high-quality, scholarly manuscripts of various kinds, including the following:
- Original research.
- High-impact papers from major scholars of international standing.
- Review articles in a specific field.
Details of the reviewing process for such articles, elaborated in a separate policy, is in accordance with the JBI’s standards for peer-reviewing.
3. Identification of Reviewers for Inclusion in the JBI Database
Contribution to the ongoing expansion of the reviewer database.
4. Other Roles
The roles of the Associate Editors may also include providing:
- Suggestions for themed issues.
- Suggestions for symposia.
- Cases for In That Case.
- Contributions to the JBI website.
Key Selection Criteria
The successful applicant will be expected to show leadership and vision that further the aims of the JBI and provide guidance with respect to the further development and refinement of the Sociology and Bioethics portfolio of the JBI. He or she will be able to carry out the required managerial tasks outlined above, including working effectively with the Managing Editor and the Editor in Chief.
Principal Criteria for Selection
- Experience in writing and editing scholarly manuscripts.
- Considerable experience in Research Ethics.
- Written and verbal communication skills sufficient to carry out the duties of the position.
Expressions of interest are welcome from all qualified candidates, regardless of location or field of expertise. Potential candidates are invited to review the JBI website and to contact the Chair of the Editorial Board for further information:
Professor Paul Komesaroff
Department of Medicine
Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
Telephone: 0417 55 26 59