Bioethics is a dialogue …
The Journal of Bioethical Inquiry is more than “just a journal”—more than merely a place where scholars and practitioners can publish their research, critical reflections, and analyses of bioethical issues and practice. The JBI seeks to create a multidisciplinary forum for:
- generating reflective debate and analysis;
- encouraging differences of thought and novel approaches;
- developing collaborations and research networks; and
- connecting diverse voices in a global conversation to promote greater understanding across disciplinary, ideological, and geographical borders.
The cover design features a “fractal”—a geometric shape whose parts, when magnified, approximate the structure of the whole. Fractals are infinitely detailed and they characterize the geometry of many phenomena in the natural world. The word “fractal” is derived from the Latin verb “to break” and the adjective for “irregular.” The fractal design thus represents aspects of bioethics: that it is an unending process of analysis, turbulence, and complexity
The Journal of Bioethical Inquiry (JBI) provides a multidisciplinary scholarly forum for reflective debate and analysis of bioethical issues and the differences of opinion and approach that they generate. It aims to connect diverse academic, professional, scientific, artistic, and community voices in a global conversation that involves our contributors, readers, and the editorial team to promote greater understanding across disciplinary, ideological, and geographical borders.
The JBI welcomes both reports of empirical research and articles that increase the theoretical understanding of medicine and healthcare, the health professions, and the biological sciences. The JBI is also open to critical reflections on medicine and conventional bioethics; the nature of health, illness, and disability; the sources of ethics; the nature of ethical communities; possible implications of new developments in science and technology for social and cultural life and human identity; and the impact of social policies and current world events on health, welfare, and systems of power. We welcome contributions from perspectives that are less commonly published in existing journals in the field as well as studies using qualitative and/or quantitative methodologies. Contributions discussing bioethical issues in different geographical and cultural settings are welcomed and encouraged.
In addition to original research, each issue of the JBI includes a symposium edited by guest scholars focusing on a specific bioethical topic as well as regular features such as: Editorials; Letters to the Editor; Critical Perspectives; Recent Developments (particularly in law); Book, Film, and Art Reviews; and Case Studies to which readers respond and comment.
The JBI accepts contributions from authors working in or across disciplines, including—but not limited to—the following:
- Philosophy, Bioethics, Anthropology, Cultural Studies, Disability Studies, Economics, Environmental Sciences, Feminism, Gay and Lesbian Studies, History, Law, Linguistics and Discourse Analysis, Literature and Literary Studies, Psychology, Public Health and Epidemiology, Social Theory, and Theology and Religious Studies
One aim of the Journal of Bioethical Inquiry is to foster interdisciplinary and international dialogue about pressing concerns related to both new and old bioethical issues. The Editors of the JBI specialize in a variety of areas and work with and within different populations. We encourage you to get to know all of our editors and engage with them in conversations that are fruitful to all.
Published by Springer
The Journal of Bioethical Inquiry is published by Springer (journal no. 11673):
- ISSN: 1176-7529 (print version)
- ISSN: 1872-4353 (electronic version)
The Journal of Bioethical Inquiry currently is indexed in:
- Academic OneFile
- Google Scholar
- Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition
- Journal Citation Reports/Social Sciences Edition
- The Philosopher’s Index
- Science Citation Index Expanded (SciSearch)
- Social Science Citation Index
- Social SciSearch
- Summon by Serial Solutions
The Journal of Bioethical Inquiry is the official journal of the Australasian Association of Bioethics and Health Law and the Bioethics Centre of the University of Otago and an official partner journal of the American Society for Bioethics + Humanities.